|Atsumu "Yukiatsu" Matsuyuki|
|Hair Color:||Light brown|
|Height:||181 cm (5' 11")|
|Weight:||68 kilos (150 lb)|
|Affiliation:||Super Peace Busters|
|Anime:||Episode 1 - "Super Peace Busters"|
Atsumu "Yukiatsu" Matsuyuki is a childhood friend of Jinta, Naruko, Chiriko, Tetsudo and Meiko, and is a member of the Super Peace Busters. He and Chiriko attend the same elite high school, which Jinta was unable to enter due to failing the entrance exams.
Atsumu is a young man, tall and with a slim build. He has short, light brown hair and green eyes. He usually wears his school uniform, consisting of a white, collared shirt with a left breast pocket ornamented with an emblem, tucked into dark blue jeans with a brown leather belt and a silver buckle, a burgundy tie and brown shoes. He also wears a wristwatch with a brown leather strap.
As a kid, he wore a blue and yellow cap with a fish inside of a circular emblem on it, a white, collared, button neck shirt, denim shorts, white, mid-calf socks and orange & white running shoes.
In the present, Atsumu holds a condescending and hateful attitude towards Jinta. He becomes agitated whenever Meiko is mentioned and tries to hide that he is still distraught over her death.
He is still trapped by the memory of Meiko, keeping a white sundress similar to hers in his closet. He claimed that he could also see Meiko's spirit, and even spoke on her behalf, but this 'ghost' turned out to be Atsumu himself, who would wander the forests at night dressed in a wig and the white sundress. He took the blame for Meiko's death, as he'd confessed feelings to her on the day of her accident, and says that he is the one that should be haunted by Meiko's ghost because of this. Although he stops crossdressing after he is caught, he is still tormented by the idea of Meiko's spirit appearing only to Jintan.
Atsumu confides in Naruko on how they are both left behind by their unrequited feelings for Jinta and Meiko, saying that they are kindred spirits. Atsumu has a dark, manipulative side driven by both his affection for Meiko and his inferiority complex from childhood.
Atsumu is incredibly intelligent and excels in school, being the second of his class, due to his hard work. This is shown in Menma's letter to him that says, "I love how hardworking and strong you are". He is sincere
- "I've accepted the fact that Menma is with us. However, I can't see her, neither can I speak with her. I wanted to see her again so badly."
- "You can't forget about Menma, so you remain bound to her memories. You're pitiful."
- "You're different from the leader you were back then. Well, I never approved it to begin with anyway."
- "Do I look all right? Take a good look!.. ...Hey do I look like Menma? You can see her, right? Do I look like her?"
- "If only I hadn't said those words to Menma, then she wouldn't have died."
- "Your business as usual. Disgustingly normal."
- "Let's stop this. Let's stop this nonsense about granting Menma's wish."
- "We've all just been playing along. Playing along because you're so pitiful. I shouldn't be saying this because I've done something similar before.. but I'm not going to push my own pain onto someone else, like you're doing now."
- "Am I wrong? Due to you being chained down by the past, you've hurt everyone, including Menma's parents."